If you don’t know what to do, I suggest you to go out in Montparnasse today. It’s one of my favourite districts! Indeed, Montparnasse is a central location in Paris 14 and one of the liveliest places. Here is a list of 10 things to do in this great area!
1. Shopping addicts, you have to stop by Rue de Rennes! This is a central shopping street of the Left Bank of Paris. You will find most of the major stores such as The Body Shop, Fnac, Naf Naf, Etam, Kookaï, Morgan, H&M, Foot Locker, Micromania, The Kooples, Nicolas, Zara, Marionnaud and so much more! This is paradise.
2. Shopping Center Montparnasse Rive Gauche! If you don’t have courage to go to Boulevard Haussmann, there are also Galeries Lafayette in Montparnasse and several other stores. Womenswear, lingerie, menswear, kids fashion, leather goods, fashion accessories, shoes, jewelry, decoration, telephony…treat yourselves! There are catering corners in the shopping center too.
3. Montparnasse Tower! If you have never done it before, climb at the top of Montparnasse Tower to enjoy a panoramic view of 360 degrees, among the most grandiose in the city! To have cheaper tickets, go on the website http://www.familinparis.fr. You will pay 10.50 euros instead of 15 euros per adult, it’s worth it!
4. Movie fans, there are many cinemas in Montparnasse! My favourite one in the area is Gaumont Parnasse because it’s a bright cinema complex with numerous rooms, the payment at terminals is fast, the confectionery shop offers Ben & Jerry ice cream, and the seats are fine, clean and comfortable.
5. If you like plays, there are at least 10 theaters in the area! You can find a list of theaters on the website http://www.autourdemontparnasse.fr. I’m sure you will find your happiness among the different programs!
6. Crêperie Josselin! I have already told you about it in my article on Candlemas Day. This is my favourite place to eat crepes for lunch, tea time or dinner! The staff is friendly, the service efficient, the portions generous and delicious, not to mention cider which is excellent! You must be prepared to queue outside but it’s really worth it! Salty and sweet crepes cost around 9 euros. This family crêperie is open from Tuesday to Sunday (from noon to 11:00 pm). Where to find it? 67 rue du Montparnasse 75014 Paris.
7. Auvergne cuisine fans, try Le Plomb du Cantal restaurant! This place is dedicated to big eaters: if you are on a diet, pass your turn! The food is good, the portions are large, usually you won’t be able to order a dessert, unless you come back another day for tea time. I recommend you truffade (mix of potatoes, fresh tomino cheese, garlic and cream) and duck magret, so yummy! Truffade is around 10 euros, meats between 16 and 22 euros, salads between 11 and 14 euros and desserts are 5-6 euros. Opening hours: every day from noon to 2:00 am. Where to find it? 3 rue de la Gaîté 75014 Paris.
8. Falstaff! This is a Belgian beer bar where I like to go before having dinner in Montparnasse. It offers 15 draft beers and a hundred bottled beers. I usually order Kriek cherry beer or Lindemans raspberry beer, it’s sweet like a cocktail! Their apple mojitos and strawberry mojitos are very nice as well. A pint of beer is around 6.50 euros and a cocktail 9 euros. Opening hours: every day from 7:30 am to 4:00 am. Where to find it? 42 rue du Montparnasse 75014 Paris.
9. Toritcho! This is one of the oldest and most authentic Japanese restaurants in Paris. The decor is folkloric and from another era. You will be able to eat excellent tempura dishes, yakitoris, small sushis impeccably fresh and other little typical dishes of Japan. A meal is between 15 and 30 euros. It’s more expensive than in the other Japanese restaurants but the food is really tasty! Try to come for lunch, it’s cheaper than dinner. Opening hours: on Tuesday, Wedneday, Thursday and Sunday (noon-2:30 pm; 7:00 pm-10:30 pm) and on Friday and Saturday (noon-2:30 pm; 7:00-11:00pm). Where to find it? 47 rue du Montparnasse 75014 Paris.
10. Indiana Club! I thought that Indiana Café Tolbiac was the only Indiana where you can play pool but actually, there is Indiana Club as well! The numerous pool tables are the attraction of this bar. The atmosphere is relaxed and they are doing take-away also. One hour of billard costs 14 euros, you should better have cash with you. Go during happy hours: cocktails are half price every day from 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm! Opening hours: every day from 8:00 am to 2:00 am. Where to find it? 77 avenue du Maine 75014 Paris.
That’s it! Hope these 10 tips will allow you to spend a lovely day in Montparnasse! If you wanna give your opinion, feel free to comment. Have a nice week-end 🙂