Good morning everyone!
As you know, the City of Lights is very popular with the cinema industry. One only has to see the number of movies that were set in Paris! Here is my top 10, enjoy!
1. Moulin Rouge: this Australian-American musical movie realized by Baz Luhrmann came out in 2001. It’s about the tragic love story between a young poet/writer and the star of the Moulin rouge, a cabaret actress who is also a courtesan. The plot takes place in an idyllic Montmartre and this is what makes the beauty of the film. We have the feeling to escape in another world full of romance and magic! Paris is not called the “City of Love” for nothing…
2. Midnight in Paris: this Spanish-American comedy realized by Woody Allen was released in the theaters in 2011. It deals with an engaged couple who spends few days in Paris. The groom, who is rejected by his fiancee and her parents, explores the city. At midnight, he gets into an old car that will take him into the Paris of the twenties. Over the following nights, he will meet historical celebrities such as Hemingway, Picasso, Toulouse-Lautrec and so on… I love the Belle-Epoque and time travel! The history of Paris is so rich and beautiful!
3. HeartBreaker: this French romantic comedy realized by Pascal Chaumeil came out in 2010. A professional heartbreaker falls in love with his target. The story takes places both in Paris (in the 2nd and the 8th district) and Monaco. The cliché of the Parisian seducer is well represented and the two main characters take us into a glamorous universe!
4. Ratatouille: this Disney-Pixar movie realized by Brad Bird was released in 2007. Passionate about cooking, a young rat dreams of becoming a great chef despite the opposition of his family and the aversion of the restaurateurs. This film is a beautiful tribute to Paris and French gastronomy, I loved it!
5. Anastasia: this animated featured film realized by Don Bluth and Gary Goldman for Fox Animation Studios came out in 1997. It deals with the reunion of the Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia with her grand-mother after 10 years of separation. “Together in Paris” was the secret promise they made to each other before the assassination of the Tsar’s family and the Bolshevik Revolution. Paris is a dream city where anything is possible. So romantic!
6.The Aristocats: this Disney movie came out in 1970. A family of posh cats, named as heirs by an old Parisian lady, are struggling with a butler who wishes to take their place. We are in 1910 and the film is deliciously vintage: the old Paris is stunning and I love the jazz music!
7. The Hunchback of Notre Dame: this Disney movie dates from 1996. The plot is focusing on Quasimodo, hunchback and bell-ringer of Notre Dame, and his struggle to gain acceptance into society. The medieval Paris, populated by gypsies artists, is charming!
8. The Man in the Iron Mask: this American adventure film realized by Randall Wallace came out in 1998. The four Musketeers Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D’Artagnan are in their forties and they are serving King Louis XIV who has a secret twin brother, prisoner and hidden behind an iron mask. I love capes and swords movies and the Paris of the 17th century is full of history!
9. The Intouchables: this French dramatic comedy directed by Olivier Nakache and Eric Toledano, was broadcasted in the theaters in 2011. It tells the story of the friendship between a rich quadriplegic and his live-in caregiver. Paris is the scene of so many great stories! We can be proud of our city!
10. Amélie: this French romantic comedy directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet came out in 2001. The story takes place in Montmartre. A waitress decides to change the lives of those around her for the better and takes us into a wonderful, poetic and fantastic universe! Paris is the best place ever. Definitely.
And you, what are your favourite movies set in Paris? Give me your opinion in the comment field. Have a nice day! 🙂